Pioneer Elementary School believes that the full-time attendance of students is necessary in order to provide a meaningful school experience. In addition, the regular attendance of a child in a formal education setting is mandated by state laws and school board policies.
Excessive absenteeism/tardiness comprises a child’s ability to fully benefit from the educational experience offered through the school setting.
In order to facilitate full-time enrollment and regular attendance of the students attending Pioneer Elementary School, the following policy will be followed:
- Children should be at home when physically ill. If your child is not going to be in school, please notify the office by phone or text (406-373-5357) by 8:30 a.m. of the day that the child is absent. A doctor’s note may be sent with the child upon his/her return to school.
- When a student reaches 7 or more absences per trimester a letter will be sent to the parent/guardian. Parents/guardians will be notified when absences reach 5, 7 days and beyond. When a child misses this much school, he/she begins to fall behind. It is the responsibility of the parents to make sure that their child is in school. When a child is absent more than 7 days, in the current trimester, a school resource officer may be contacted to begin a truancy investigation which may end in a citation if warranted.
ACCEPTABLE REASONS FOR EXCUSED ABSENCES:
- Death in family or funeral of close friend
- Professional/medical appointments
- Out of town for family trips
- Necessary absences approved by the parent/guardian
Any students arriving to school after 9:00 a.m. will be considered absent for the morning sessions. If a student leaves after 12:00 p.m. they will be marked absent for the afternoon sessions.
Students missing no school will be presented a Perfect Attendance Award at the end of each trimester/school year.
- If a student is absent more than ten (10) days per semester, he/she may be required to repeat that grade. All such cases will be reviewed by the administrator, parent, and the school board.
- A student who wishes to participate in a special, family trip lasting for more than one day must have his/her parents make a formal written request stating the reason and length of the absence. (If parents want pre-assigned homework, it is suggested that one week’s notice be given to the teacher.)
- The Teacher, Administrator and the Board of Trustees will determine whether to accept the absence as “excused” or “unexcused”. The assignments must be made up for the time missed. It will be up to the individual teacher as to the time schedule for missed assignments.