Regular Meeting Minutes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 11, 2020
Presented for Approval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . June 8, 2020
DATE: May 11, 2020
TIME: 4:30 p.m.
PLACE: Pioneer School, Main Building, Room 106
MEMBERS Kari Jones, Chairperson
PRESENT: Luke Rome, Trustee
Colleen Shaw, Trustee
CLERK: Marilyn Michael
ADMIN: Melissa Schnitzmeier
VISITORS: Ana Johnson, Joshua & Mary Thompson, Alisa Rau
- CALL TO ORDER:
Trustee, Kari Jones called the meeting of the trustees of Pioneer Elementary School District #41 to order Via Zoom, yMonday, May 11, 2020 at 4:30 pm. Trustee, Kari Jones welcomed all those attending. Trustee, Kari Jones read the Montana Law about public meetings.
- MINUTE APPROVAL: Colleen Shaw made a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 20, 2020 and the Special meeting minutes of April 27, 2020. Luke Rome seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- ADMINISTRATOR REPORT:
- Campus News
- Reverse Parade and Graduate Celebration – May 20th 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
- Summer Learning Opportunities via CARES Act/Grant Dollars
- COVID19 NEA Grant Opportunities – $1500 – $5000 for summer program
- 2020-2021 In Progress
- Return Process/Planning
- Staff Recruiting
- Preliminary Budget
- Classroom Assignments
- Student Schedule
- OLD BUSINESS
- Building Maintenance – Kevin submitted a bid to replace the condensate tank of $5500 on the boiler. He will begin work on this as soon as he gets the parts to build it.
- Safety Enhancements – Marilyn reported that Kevin felt he could add the railing going to the boiler room with some of the old pipe that was removed and replaced.
- ADA Compliance/Architect Proposal updates – Melissa reported that we have received a payment schedule from Collaborative Designs. They will begin work approximately May 15th. The bills should be June 1 $9000, July 1 – $9000, August 1 – $12000, September 1 – $$8000. We can pay more from this fiscal year if it is available.
- CARE Act – Melissa reported that there is not a lot of new information yet. We are waiting on OPI to release more guidance.
III. NEW BUSINESS
- Non-Resident Student Applications & Renewals – Joshua and Mary Thompson, Ana Johnson and Alisa Rau joined the meeting for their non-resident student applications. The board discussed with each of them, the reasons they would like their children to attend Pioneer School. After discussion Colleen made a motion to accept Emmett Thompson to Pioneer School. Luke seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Luke made a motion to accept Elizabeth Rose Johnson to Pioneer School. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Colleen made a motion to accept Alexis Rau to Pioneer School. Luke seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. The board then review the renewal letters of current non-resident students. After reviewing the letters Colleen made a motion to approve Elijah & Ezra Bouchard, Haydyn, Danyka & Donovan Doll, Ben, Dylan & Olivia Krieger, Gage, Audrina & Ryder Kuntz, Sara Johnson, Abigail Thompson, Evan & Ryan Comstock, Andrew Rau, Zachary Wyman and Madyson Schnitzmeier & Haven Coulter for the 2020-2021 school year. Luke seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Policy Updates – Melissa presented updates to policy 1110, 1900 and 1906. MTSBA is updating the 1900 series policies as COVID-19 needs come up. Policy 1110 is just a clean-up due to new laws for board members taking office. Colleen made a motion to adopt Policy 1110, 1900 and 1906, Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Classified Staff recommendations/salary recommendations – Melissa recommended each classified staff member receive 50 cent increase to their hourly wage. Kaylyn Ivey would increase to $12.50, Kevin Maddox to $23, Cindy Reed to $91 per day for the 2 bus routes and Shannon Wright to $13.50. Colleen made a motion to approve Melissa’s recommended salary increases. Luke seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Melissa also reported that Brittney Dick submitted her letter of resignation. This will be placed on the June agenda for the board to accept her resignation.
- Certified Staff recommendations – Melissa recommended renewing the contracts of certified staff: Richelle Hertel, Alisa Rau, Leah Wright, Jami Burns and Connie Russell. She also recommended renewing the contract of Jacob Croteau pending him receiving a Montana teaching certificate. She explained that he came to us with a Florida license, has taken the praxis test and passed. He is now waiting on OPI to approve the license. Colleen made a motion to accept Melissa’s recommendation to renew the certified staff contracts with Jacob’s renewal pending receiving his license. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Clerk contract/salary negotiations – Melissa recommended increasing Marilyn Michael’s salary to $19. Luke made a motion to increase Marilyn’s salary to $19. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Administrator contract/salary negotiations – Melissa requested that the board approve a salary schedule for the administrator contract. She also requested that her contract read “The Administrator shall be permitted to work off campus” with “during summer months” as it is now removed from the contract. She stated that she often has to do work when she is on vacation or has a sick child. The board felt this was not an option, she would have to use leave time if she was not on campus during the school year. Luke made a motion to renew Melissa’s contract for a period of 2 years. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Luke made a motion to adopt the presented salary schedule with Melissa being on the year 5 – 6 tier. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Melissa’s salary for 2020-2021 will be $54,768.
- School Nurse Contract 2020-2021 – Marilyn presented the 2020-2021 Riverstone Health nurse contract. She explained that Karen asked Riverstone to credit some of the fee as we were not able to have her services for the end of the year due to COVID-19 closures. Riverstone agreed to this and the contract amount will be $4726. Colleen made a motion to accept the school nurse contract with Riverstone Health in the amount of $4726. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- COVID-19 Planning – Melissa explained that MTSBA has come up with COVID-19 Emergency Measures that the board needs to adopt. After reviewing the measures, Colleen made a motion to adopt the Emergency Measures as presented. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Melissa also presented a list of plans depending on where the state is in regards to the COVID-19 closures. It has 4 possible plans from opening up to normal schedules, a new altered schedule, an altering of ½ day scheduling or continuing offsite distance learning. Kari stated that she does not like option 3 as she feels it would create a hardship for many families. Melissa explained it is something we will have to wait to determine which possible plan will work.
- Spring Transportation Claims – Marilyn submitted the second semester transportation claims. She explained that we were allowed to claim all of the days for the 2nd semester for our TR6 bus claims and all of the days that students could have been transported to the preschool not just the days that the students were actually transported. This is an extra $161. Luke made a motion to accept the spring transportation claims. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Resolution to have County Run Elections for 2020–2021 – Marilyn explained that most districts in the County submit their request to have the County Election office run their elections in the spring, so she is moving to do this also instead of in January as was done previously. Luke made a motion to request the County Election office run our elections for 2020-2021. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Board reorganization/Appointment of Clerk – Marilyn administered the oath of office to Kari Jones. Luke nominated Kari Jones as chair. Kari seconded the nomination. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Luke moved to appoint Marilyn Michael as clerk for 2020-21. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Kari administered the oath of office to Marilyn. All required documents will be signed by the board as soon as they can come into the office and Marilyn will turn them in to Sherry Long for her signature.
- APRIL FINANCIAL REPORT
The clerk presented claims warrants numbered 21507 through 21520 in the amount of $3,311.99, and the payroll warrants numbered 9059 through 9060 in the amount of $44,042.14. The ACH and Direct deposits were included in the amount. The clerk presented the trial balance sheets for each fund and a monthly report stating each line item YTD and budget balance remaining for the each fund. After review of the report, Luke Rome moved to approve the financial reports. Kari Jones seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- TRUSTEE CONCERNS
- Weekly agendas for 4/27/20 through 5/15/20
- May newsletter
VI . ADJOURNMENT:
A motion was made by Luke Rome to adjourn the meeting. Kari Jones seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; motion carried. The meeting ended at 5:45 pm. The next scheduled regular meeting is Monday, June 8, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. in Room 102 of the main building or Via Zoom.
Attest: __________________________ SIGNED: ____________________________
Kari Jones, Board Chairperson