Pioneer Elementary School
1937 Dover Road
Billings, MT 59105 Telephone (406)-373-5357
Mission Statement: Our mission is to serve the community and the school by creating a safe environment that fosters Respect, Trust, Accountability, and Responsibility while promoting life-long learning for all.
Special Meeting Minutes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 24, 2020
Presented for Approval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . September 14, 2020
TIME: 4:30 p.m.
PLACE: Pioneer School, Main Building, via Zoom
MEMBERS Kari Jones, Chairperson
PRESENT: Luke Rome, Trustee
Marion Hatch, Trustee
CLERK: Marilyn Michael
ADMIN: Melissa Schnitzmeier
VISITORS: Tim & Wynn Powell arrived at 4:30 pm, signed off of Zoom at 4:35 pm. Brittney Lowman arrived at 4:30 pm, signed off of Zoom at 4:38. Andy Pirami with Billings Carpet and Water joined the meeting at 4:44 pm via phone call. He exited the meeting at 5:00 pm.
- CALL TO ORDER:
Trustee, Kari Jones called the meeting of the trustees of Pioneer Elementary School District #41 to order via Zoom, Monday, August 24, 2020 at 4:30 pm. Trustee, Kari Jones welcomed all those attending. Trustee, Kari Jones read the Montana Law about public meetings.
- MINUTE APPROVAL: Tabled to September 14, 2020 meeting.
- HEARING OF THE PUBLIC: None
- LEAD TEACHER REPORT: None
- OLD BUSINESS
III. NEW BUSINESS
- Non-Resident Student applications – Tim & Wynn Powell were in attendance to request that their son, Dean be allowed to attend kindergarten at Pioneer School. After discussion, Luke made a motion to accept Dean Powell to Kindergarten. Marion seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Britney Lowman was in attendance to request that her children, Emma & Jackson be admitted to the third grade and Kindergarten classes. After discussion, Marion made a motion to accept Emma & Jackson Lowman to Pioneer School. Luke seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- TRUSTEES CONCERNS –
- Melissa explained to the board she has heard from Karen Graf, our school nurse that Shepherd is receiving a lot of criticism for closing for 2 days. Karen explained to Melissa that this is not a recommended time frame and may not be necessary. Melissa told Karen that this had come from MTSBA. Melissa has also been in contact with Mark Wandle of Huntley. They are purchasing misting machines that would get students back in the classroom in approximately 2 hours. He sent her a link for the equipment they purchased. Melissa will contact Kevin to see if there is a potential for this to get into the HVAC system. Kari asked if the lights that she had previously spoken to Andy Pirami about would be better as they could sanitize in minutes rather than hours. She contacted Andy by phone to ask questions about the lights. He is working to get prices on the lights including permanent and portable lights. He will contact Melissa with prices and more information on these lights hopefully by Tuesday, 8/25. Andy has concerns about the misting machines ability to sanitize without damaging paper surfaces and the need to wipe everything down before using the misting machines. Melissa will gather more information on the misting machines and the lights and have it ready for the September 14th board meeting.
IV . ADJOURNMENT:
A motion was made by Luke Rome to adjourn the meeting. Kari Jones seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; motion carried. The meeting ended at 5:05 pm. The next scheduled regular meeting is Monday, September 14, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. in the Room 106 and/or via Zoom of the main building.
Attest: __________________________ SIGNED: ____________________________
Kari Jones, Board Chairperson