Regular Meeting Minutes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 12, 2019
Presented for Approval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . September 9, 2019
DATE: August 12, 2019
TIME: 4:30 p.m.
PLACE: Pioneer School, Main Building, Room 106
MEMBERS Kari Jones, Chairperson
PRESENT: Luke Rome, Trustee
Colleen Shaw, Trustee
CLERK: Marilyn Michael
ADMIN: Melissa Schnitzmeier
STAFF: Jami Burns arrived at 4:30 pm, left at 6:00
VISITORS: Mark and Rebecca Thomas arrived at 4:30, left at 4:45, Joshua Thompson arrived at 4:30, left at 4:45. Colleen Shaw arrived at 4:30, Raelyn Melber joined via FaceTime at 4:40, call ended 4:45
- CALL TO ORDER:
Trustee, Kari Jones called the meeting of the trustees of Pioneer Elementary School District #41 to order in Room 100 of the Old building, Monday, August 12, 2019 at 4:30 pm. Trustee, Kari Jones welcomed all those attending. Trustee, Kari Jones read the Montana Law about public meetings.
- MINUTE APPROVAL: Colleen Saw made a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of July 8, 2019 and the Special meeting minutes of July 19, 2019. Luke Rome seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- HEARING OF THE PUBLIC: None
- ADMINISTRATOR REPORT:
- District Happenings
- Current District Enrollment is K – 12, 1st -13, 2nd – 9, 3rd – 9 , 4th – 7, 5th – 8, 6th – 2, 7th – 3, 8th – 5 for a total 69
- Non-resident student applications = 4 which makes the total 72
- August Newsletter went out 8/1
- Student Handbook will be delivered electronically this year
- New/updated enrollment packets with current ESSA requirements mailed
- Connie Russell will attend the MSSA Counselor Variance training in Helena on 8/20/19
- Staff will be on campus beginning 8/19
- Reports and Grants
- REAP – Submitted – $9816
- TITLE I Submitted – $44,154
- IDEA Consolidated (SPED Funding) – Submitted
- GT – Intent to Apply – Submitted, no word on when it will open
- Upcoming Events
- Meet & Greet – 8/20 4:00 – 6:00 pm
- PTA Meeting 8/20 6:00 pm
- First day of School 8/21
- Fall Festival 9/6 6:00 pm
- Christmas Program may have to be Dec 6 due to limited availability. Kari mentioned checking to see if we can use Harvest Church. Melissa will contact MTSBA
- Building Maintenance
- New Playground Equipment – Set to ship 8/29 – Installation Date TBA
- Kevin’s working on landscaping this week (weed removal)
- Wharton Asphalt has been contacted for a quote – waiting for a call back
- Construction in brick building is still underway – they hope to be done and out this week
- Insurance Company contacted for White building, Roof due to 8/11 storm, they are coming 8/12 to assess the damage.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Building Maintenance – Nothing new at this time other than getting the insurance company out to assess damage from the 8/11/19 storm. Jeremy May with MSGIA will be coming on 8/13/19.
- Safety Enhancements – Nothing new at this time
- Roof and Water Damage – The construction is nearing completion. They are painting now and plan to put the lights up this week which will complete the reconstruction. Staff will be able to start moving items back by the weekend if all goes as planned.
III. NEW BUSINESS
- Board Member Replacement – Luke made a motion to appoint Colleen Shaw to the board to fill the vacant position. Kari Jones seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Colleen Shaw was sworn in to the vacant position.
- Non-Resident Student Applications – The non-resident student applicants all waived their right to a closed session. The board then interviewed Mark and Rebecca Thomas, Joshua Thompson and Raelynn Melber about their decision to apply to have their children attend Pioneer School. After speaking to the parents, Luke made a motion to accept Wilson Thomas to 7th grade, Samuel Thomas to 4th grade, David Thomas to 1st grade, Abigail Thompson to 1st grade and Taylen Melber to 2nd grade. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Lost keys – what to do – Sarah O’Brien, former board member is not able to find her keys at this time. The board was asked if they feel it necessary to change the locks due to the lost keys. None of the board members felt this would be necessary.
- PIR Day trade out requests – Jami Burns, Connie Russell, Richelle Hertel and Alisa Rau attended the Tech conference put on by District 2. They each submitted a request to exchange these days for the MEA days in October. Luke Rome made a motion to allow Jami Burns, Connie Russell, Richelle Hertel and Alisa Rau to exchange the Tech conference for the MEA days in October. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Updated Bus Routes – Marilyn presented updated bus routes. McIntyre Rd is no longer on the route as no students are living on it. These routes will be presented to the County transportation committee in September unless there are major route changes before then. Colleen made a motion to adopt the 2019-2020 bus routes as presented. Luke seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Recommitment to Eastern Yellowstone Special Education Co-op – Melissa explained that each year we must sign a recommitment to the Co-op. The Co-op provides speech, school psychologists, and other specialist that we need or could potentially need. Luke made a motion to approve our recommitment to the Eastern Yellowstone Special Education Coop. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Staff Handbook – Melissa presented the updated Staff Handbook. Jami explained that the union rep has concerns about the requirement of keeping the classrooms “tidy and free of clutter” as each person has a different view of what this could mean. The area of “Care of Rooms” on page 6 was rewritten to take out this sentence and will be worded “Prior to leaving each night, floors should be left free from student belongings, garbage or miscellaneous items to ensure the custodian can complete his/her work. He also felt the Superintendent should confirm the subs instead of the person needing the sub as she will be the one that has to find a replacement if a sub is not able to show up to work. Melissa was ok with this change and will confirm the substitutes 24 hours before they are to sub. Luke made a motion to adopt the Staff Handbook with the changes discussed. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Student Handbook – Melissa presented the updated Student Handbook. She explained that this will only be available on the website and we are no longer going to print a version for each student as in the past which will save paper and time. She explained that there have been changes to the requirements of notifications of certain policies, etc. These changes will be delivered to parents via the handbook and the new enrollment forms. Melissa will send a Parent Compact home at a later date also. Luke made a motion to adopt the student handbook. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Trustees Financial Summary 2018-2019 – Marilyn presented the TFS to the board. This is a report for OPI to recap of the expenditures and revenues for the 2018 -19 school year. After it is approved by the board, it will be submitted to the County Superintendent and OPI. Todd Watkins was a great help to Marilyn again this year while completing this and the Budget report. Colleen made a motion to approve the 2018-19 Trustee Financial Summary report. Kari Jones seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- Final Budget Report 2019-2020 – Marilyn present the final budget report for 2019-2020. This was completed with Todd Watkins & Melissa’s inputs. Melissa presented the final preliminary budget to the board also. She explained that REAP grant is lower this year, but the Title I grant is higher, resulting in a slight increase in these two grants. Marilyn explained that with the need for additional services for students with IEP’s we have had to add to our Tuition Fund. This and the addition of and Adult Education Fund have made our total mills go up from 121.30 to 140.35 Luke made a motion to accept the 2019-2020 Final Budget Report. Colleen seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Marilyn explained that this will also be submitted to the County Superintendent and OPI.
- JULY FINANCIAL REPORT
The clerk presented claims warrants numbered 21354 through 21365 in the amount of $38,643.41, there were no payroll warrants however the amount of $8,701.78 for the ACH and Direct deposits was included in the amount. The clerk presented the trial balance sheets for each fund and a monthly report stating each line item YTD and budget balance remaining for the each fund. After review of the report, Colleen Shaw moved to approve the financial reports. Luke Rome seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- TRUSTEE CONCERNS
- Copies of letters sent to parents of out of district students that have been accepted to date.
VI . ADJOURNMENT:
A motion was made by Colleen Shaw to adjourn the meeting. Luke Rome seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; motion carried. The meeting ended at 6:15 pm. The next scheduled regular meeting is Monday, September 9, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. in Room 105 of the main building.
Attest: __________________________ SIGNED: ____________________________
Kari Jones, Board Chairperson