Important Notice: School Closed Friday December 16th
Dear Parents and Guardians:
Please be advised that Pioneer Elementary has made the decision to close the school tomorrow, Friday December 16th, due to the impending weather conditions.
The winter season is upon us. Our district staff understands that our decision to open or close schools in bad weather has a big effect on families. We also understand that our students are better served – both academically and socially – by being in school. But as always, our top priority is the safety of our students.
HOW DO WE MAKE OUR DECISION?
Please understand that we make the decision to open or close the schools in bad weather based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions from transportation staff and from the police. We must give careful consideration to the most dangerous roads in the district. Even if your street looks clear, travel elsewhere in the district may be dangerous. Also, we must consider that some high schools students drive to school.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated.
- Whether precipitation is continuing.
- Temperature and wind chill. Please remember that some of our students must wait outside for the bus.
- Weather predictions. We prefer not make our decision based on weather predictions, which are not always accurate. But sometimes this is unavoidable.
- What other school districts are doing. We also share information with other local districts and check whether they are opening or closing.
We hope that this explanation helps everyone understand the process that our district staff uses to make the best possible decision for all in our district.
Principal, Pioneer Elementary