Special Meeting Minutes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . July 23, 2018
Presented for Approval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 13, 2018
TIME: 6:00 p.m.
PLACE: Pioneer School, Main Building, Room 106
MEMBERS Bill Bullard, Trustee
PRESENT: Kari Jones, Trustee
CLERK: Marilyn Michael
ADMIN: Melissa Schnitzmeier
STAFF: Taylor Eissinger arrived at 6:00 pm
VISITORS: Tim & Traci Doll, Ashley Jones, Elisabeth Simon-Stuthard and Rebecca Thomas all arrive at 6:00 pm. All left at 6:23 pm.
- CALL TO ORDER:
Trustee, Bill Bullard called the meeting of the trustees of Pioneer Elementary School District #41 to order in Room 106 of the main building, Monday, July 23, 2018 at 6:00 pm. Trustee, Bill Bullard welcomed all those attending. Trustee, Bill Bullard read the Montana Law about public meetings.
- MINUTE APPROVAL: Kari Jones made a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of June 7, 2018 and special meeting minutes of June 13, 2018 and June 28, 2018 Sarah O’Brien seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- HEARING OF THE PUBLIC: None
- LEAD TEACHER REPORT: None
- OLD BUSINESS
III. NEW BUSINESS
- NON-RESIDENT STUDENT APPLICATIONS – The meeting was ordered to be closed at 6:04 pm by Chairman, Bill Bullard to discuss non-resident student applications with each parent individually. The board then met with Ashley Jones, Elisabeth Simon- Stuthard, Tim & Traci Doll and Rebecca Thomas individually. The meeting reopened at 6:20. Sarah made a motion to accept Grayden Jones, Lincoln Simon-Stuthard, Quinncy Simon-Stuthard, Olivia Simon-Stuthard, Haydyn Doll, Danyka Doll, ZolaMae Doll, David Thomas, Samuel Thomas, Wilson Thomas and Zina Thomas for the 2018-2109 school year. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Rebecca Thomas stated she will let us know of their decision as they are still discussing where to send their children to school.
- TRADE OUT CURRICULUM MAPPING DAYS FOR MEA REQUESTS – Jami Burns, Connie Russell, Dylan McDermott, Alisa Rau, Taylor Eissinger and Leah Wright requested to trade August 9 & 10 curriculum mapping days for October 18 & 19th MEA days. Melissa explained that these will be very helpful days for teachers to get to know our new curriculum and she recommend the board accept these requests. Sarah made a motion to allow the teachers to trade the curriculum mapping days for MEA for 2018-19. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- JANITOR RESIGNATION/REPLACEMENT – Daniel Pardis submitted his resignation as of July 5, 2018. Sarah moved to accept Daniel’s resignation. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. At this time we have placed an ad in the Yellowstone County News and on our Facebook page. We have received one application so far. Melissa suggested that she could do an initial interview with the applicant & then we could have a background check started as whoever is hired will need to have a background check done. The board set August 7th to have another special meeting and conduct interviews. Taylor asked if we had put the ad on billingshelpwanted.com. She volunteered to place an ad there.
- BIDS FOR SAFETY ENHANCEMENTS – Bids were received for access control systems and new phone systems. The bids were reviewed. After review of bids from Kenco Security, Connect Group and Advanced Protection Systems, Inc, Kari made a motion to accept the bid from Kenco Security in the amount of $6431.24. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. The board then reviewed the bids for phone systems from A+ Communications and ConnectGroup. After review of the bids, Sarah made a motion to accept the bid for refurbished phones from A+ Communications in the amount of $4500. Bill seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. The board then talked about how much it would cost to extend the wall to the ceiling between the office and Melissa’s new office. Sarah explained that her husband was willing to do the work at no cost if the school would purchase the supplies that will be needed. He felt it would be no more than $200-$300. Kari made a motion to accept Bradley O’Brien’s offer to finish the wall with the school paying for the supplies at a cost of no more than $300 and no cost for labor. Bill seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Melissa explained that with the moves comes a need for new furniture. She would like to purchase a new desk for her office and possibly for Leah, 2 new desk chairs and other miscellaneous items for the new teacher’s lounge. Bill stated that he has some desks that he would donate so Melissa could look at them first. Sarah made a motion to allow the purchase of 2 desks, 2 desk chairs and other miscellaneous items in the amount of no more than $750 to be paid from the supplies budget. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- CLERK POSITION – Questions were raised as to who the clerk is to report to and who is to supervise the clerk position. Bill stated that as the clerk is appointed by the board and must submit reports to the board regarding any financial issues, she has a statutory duty to the board. The board however will have Melissa be the day to day supervisor to the clerk. The clerk does have the obligation to contact the board as necessary for financial reasons.
- WEBSITE MAINTENANCE – Bill expressed concerns about the cost of the website maintenance and asked if there were suggestions as to what we can do. Melissa explained that Pat has shown her how to do uploads now so she will be able to do a lot of them in the future. Bill asked Marilyn to send the board copies of invoices for the website maintenance. We will put this on the agenda to continue discussions about saving money on our website maintenance.
III. TRUSTEES CONCERNS –
- Summer Newsletter
- Letters of acceptance to non-resident students
- Letters stating no re-application letter was received, therefore we are assuming students are transferring.
- Department of Transportation newsletter
- New blinds were discussed. It was decided to contact Billings Best Blinds to get bids for the remaining rooms that still have the old blinds. Marilyn will get Melissa the phone number.
IV . ADJOURNMENT:
A motion was made by Kari Jones to adjourn the meeting. Sarah O’Brien seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; motion carried. The meeting ended at 5:15 pm. The next scheduled regular meeting is Monday, August 13, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. in the Room 106 of the main building. A special meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 7, 2018.
Attest: __________________________ SIGNED: ____________________________
Bill Bullard, Board Chairperson