Pioneer Elementary School
1937 Dover Road
Billings, MT 59105 Telephone (406)-373-5357
Mission Statement: Our mission is to serve the community and the school by creating a safe environment that fosters Respect, Trust, Accountability, and Responsibility while promoting life-long learning for all.
Special Meeting Minutes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 7, 2017
Presented for Approval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 14, 2017
TIME: 4:00 p.m.
PLACE: Pioneer School, Main Building, Room 106
MEMBERS Bill Bullard, Trustee
PRESENT: Kari Jones, Trustee
CLERK: Marilyn Michael
ADMIN: Melissa Schnitzmeier
VISITORS: Krystle Henry arrived at 4:30, left at 7:30
- CALL TO ORDER:
Trustee, Bill Bullard called the meeting of the trustees of Pioneer Elementary School District #41 to order in Room 105 of the main building, Monday, August 7, 2017 at 4:30 pm. Trustee, Bill Bullard welcomed all those attending. Trustee, Bill Bullard read the Montana Law about public meetings.
- MINUTE APPROVAL: Tabled to August 14, 2017 meeting.
- HEARING OF THE PUBLIC: None
- LEAD TEACHER REPORT: None
- OLD BUSINESS
III. NEW BUSINESS
- INTERVIEW FOR TEACHING POSITIONS – Interviews were conducted for the 1st grade teaching position and the 5 hour teaching/3 hour aide position. After much discussion, Sarah made a motion to offer Julie Wilson the 1st Grade position. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Kari made a motion to offer Alisa Rau the position of 5 hour teacher, teaching math and PE and 3 hours of being an aide. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. The meeting was recessed at 6:50 while Melissa Schnitzmeier placed calls to the two candidates to offer them the positions. She returned and the meeting was reopened at 7:05 and stated that both had accepted he positions.
- CONFERENCES FOR CLERK – Marilyn would like to attend a conference in Hardin on August 9th to learn about using the AIM website. There is no charge for this conference. She would also like to attend another MASBO new clerk conference in Bozeman on September 12th. This conference will cost $100. They are changing their conference to give more detail to helping clerks with what is coming up for the next three months. They will do this every three months. Kari made a motion to approve sending Marilyn to the conferences on August 9th and September 12th and pay the fee of $100 for the September 12th conference. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- RESIGNATION OF 1ST GRADE TEACHER – Karissa Gordon submitted her resignation on July 18th. Discussion took place on whether or not to accept her resignation. After some discussion, Sarah made a motion to table Karissa Gordon’s resignation until the regular meeting of August 14th. Bill seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- RESIGNATION OF MATH/PE/AIDE POSITION – Jennifer Painter submitted her resignation August 1st. Discussion took place on whether or not to accept her resignation. After some discussion, Kari made a motion to table Jennifer Painter’s resignation until the regular meeting of August 14th. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. After conducting the interviews, Bill stated that any of the prevailing board members could ask to revisit these two motions. Kari made a motion to reconsider tabling the resignations. Sarah seconded the motion. Discussion took place about whether to accept the resignations at this time or not. After some discussion, Kari made a motion to accept Karissa Gordon’s resignation but table the decision of whether to have a letter of reprimand placed in her OPI file until the August 14th meeting. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Sarah made a motion to accept Jennifer’s resignation and table the decision of whether to have a letter of reprimand placed in her OPI file until the August 14th meeting. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- DISCUSSION OF ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES (partial closed session) – Bill stated that the board has voted to establish the position of principal and the board will delegate duties to the principal as they deem necessary. At this time, three positions (Maintenance, Secretary & Bus Drivers) have contracts that state they report to the school board. Bill does not feel it is appropriate to change these contracts at this time. At this time it was determined that closed sessions was necessary to discuss with Melissa Schnitzmeier about her roles & responsibilities within the principal position. The meeting was closed at 7:30 pm. The meeting reopened at 8:10 pm. No action was taken on this item.
- DISCUSSION OF COMMENTS & COMPLAINTS SUBMITTED TO THE BOARD (partial closed session) – Bill stated that 4 letters containing comments and complaints have been received. Bill has contacted MTSBA and although these letters asked to remain anonymous, Bill was told they must be made public. Two things must happen, first they must be handled like complaints and second, the senders name must be removed from them. In summarizing the complaints, Bill felt there were 5 items that needed to be addressed from the letters. 1. There is insufficient Special Ed & Title I time in the new schedule.
- A general objection to departmentalization.
- Objection to hiring a principal for such small school
- Overall objection to how the school is being managed.
- Supporting the management and leadership
Bill stated that objections to departmentalization and hiring of a principal are moot points as they have already been decided by the board.
The Special Education and Title I schedules were looked at again. There is time in the schedule to make sure the hours required are there. Melissa will go over it to make sure the times are accurate. Connie is supposed to be 4 hours Special Education, 3 hours Title I and 1 hour of library. At some time in her schedule, she needs to have her lunchtime, so some of these may be shortened a bit to accommodate a lunch break.
At this time, it was determined that closed session was necessary to discuss with Melissa the complaints of how the school is managed and support of the management and leadership. The meeting reopened at 9:15. No action was taken on this item.
III. TRUSTEES CONCERNS –
IV . ADJOURNMENT:
A motion was made by Kari Jones to adjourn the meeting. Sarah O’Brien seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; motion carried. The meeting ended at 9:17 pm. The next scheduled regular meeting is Monday, August 14, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the Room 105 of the main building.
Attest: __________________________ SIGNED: ____________________________
Bill Bullard, Board Chairperson