Regular Meeting Minutes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . July 19, 2017
Presented for Approval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . July 10, 2017
DATE: June 19, 2017
TIME: 6:00 p.m.
PLACE: Pioneer School, Main Building, Room 105
MEMBERS Bill Bullard, Chairperson
PRESENT: Kari Jones, Trustee
Sarah O’Brien, Trustee
CLERK: Han Lee
ADMIN: Melissa Schnitzmeier
STAFF: Marilyn Michael arrived at 6:00 pm, Jennifer Painter arrived at 6:00 pm, left at 8:25
VISITORS: Sali Armstrong arrived at 4:45, left at 5:50. Randy & Jordan Higgins arrived at 6:00 pm, left at 6:20. Vivian Barlow arrived at 6:00 pm, left at 6:20 pm.
- CALL TO ORDER:
Trustee, Bill Bullard called the meeting of the trustees of Pioneer Elementary School District #41 to order in Room 105 of the main building, Monday, June 19, 2017 at 6:00 pm. Trustee, Bill Bullard welcomed all those attending. Trustee, Bill Bullard read the Montana Law about public meetings.
- MINUTE APPROVAL: Kari Jones made a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of May 8, 2017 and the special meeting minutes of June 15, 2017. Sarah O’Brien seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- HEARING OF THE PUBLIC: None
- ADMINISTRATOR REPORT:
2017-2018 Strategic Goals
- Maximize every child’s learning.
- Enhance parent and community engagement. All stakeholders must hold themselves accountable for making our school the very best school.
- Maintain effective, efficient and innovative support systems.
- Manage fiscal resources effectively and efficiently.
- Begin meeting regularly to collaborate, reflect, and strategically plan our instruction using data to drive our decisions.
- Build teams based on every member’s strengths so that we might foster the best and most effective use of collaboration time.
- Communications Team
- Data Team
- Continue to improve our MBI program, while looking to RTI to enhance our instructional interventions and supports.
- Continue outreach for professional development.
- REAP – Submitted 6/9/17
- GT – 2015-2016 Year End Closeout – Submitted 6/6/17
- Discipline Report – Submitted 6/6/17
- AIM – Year End Reports & Data Collection – Completed 6/7/17
Summer Professional Developments
Technology Summit – 7/31 – 8/1 @ Lockwood
NWEA – MAPS training – 8/24/17 @ Helena
Items Needing Actions:
- Review/Update Policy Manual with Policies 1700, 2000, 2105, 2110, 2120, 2158, 2160P, 2161P, 2221, 2311P, 2314, 243, 3520, 6420, 7320, 8124
- Potential STARS Preschool Program
- MSSA Renewal App – Counselor Variance?
- Review/Adopt 2017-18 Strategic Goals – Policy 1610 & Communications Plan – Policy 2158 & 4120
- Approve/Adopt Discovery Education Science & Social Studies Curriculum
- Approve Technology Expenditures for the 2017-2018 school year
- Approve Summer Conferences
- Review/Approve 2017-2018 Schedule
- OLD BUSINESS
- DEPARTMENTALIZING/SCHEDULE – Melissa explained the departmentalization and the planned schedule for 2017-2018. Bill made a motion to table this until after the budget review. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. After the budget review the discussion returned to the departmentalization/schedule.
- BUDGET REVIEW – Han explained the 2017-2018 budget numbers to the board. She explained that the budget is very short, there is no extra money.
- MSSA RENEWAL – REVIEW COUNSELOR VARIANCE – We do not need the variance if we have a counselor. Han explained that she has put some money in the budget to pay Kyanne Wear again this year. If we do not have her, we would have a fee to pay to MSSA.
III. NEW BUSINESS
- NON-RESIDENT STUDENT APPLICATION & RENEWALS – The meeting was closed from 6:10 – 6:17 to meet with 2 potential out of district families. The meeting reopened. Kari made a motion to accept Tia Barlow, Sevryn Barlow and Levi Musser. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Sarah made a motion to accept Leia-Risa Higgins. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Kari moved to approve renewals for Deacon Kelsey, Mason Kimble, Asher & Paxton Sneeden, John Williams, Ayden Denson, Colton Ziegler and Dylan & Olivia Krieger for 2017-2018 as out of district students. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- TEACHER/PRINCIPAL POSITION CHANGE TO TEACHER/TEACHER/PRINCIPAL/SUPT – Sarah made a motion to allow Melissa to intern as Pioneer School’s Principal/Superintendent beginning in January. Her salary has already been set at $43000. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- STAFF REPLACEMENT – Dylan McDermott was hired for the 2nd/3rd combination class. The meeting was closed at 8:20 to talk to Jennifer Painter. The meeting reopened at 8:25. Discussion took place on the 4th – 6th grade position. Sarah made a motion to hire Jerica Schatz for the 4th – 6th grade position. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- TRANSPORTATION/BUS ROUTES FOR 2017-18 – Kari made a motion to keep the 2 am bus routes. She asked that the number of students riding the buses be tracked. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Kari moved to offer the am & pm bus driver position to Cynthia Reed. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried. Kari moved to repost the am bus driver position. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- POLICY UPDATE – Tabled to July 10th meeting
- 2017-2018 TECHNOLOGY APPROVAL – Tabled to July 10th meeting
- 2017-2018 STRAGEGIC PLAN & COMMUNICATIONS PLAN VIEWING – Tabled to July 10th meeting.
- STARTS PRESCHOOL GRANT OPPORTUNITY – Discussion took place on whether to apply for the grant to start a preschool. Bill made a motion to proceed with the application. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- SUMMER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES – Kari made a motion to allow staff to attend the technology conference in Lockwood 7/31 – 8/1. Sarah seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- BOARD MEETING ROOM ASSIGNMENT – It was decided to not move the board meetings to the old building.
- STUDENT HANDBOOK – Melissa explained there were very few changes to the handbook. One was made stating that a student that is kicked off of the bus for the remainder of the year may be subject to not riding the bus for field trips. Melissa explained that she rearranged some pages, but other changes were minor. Marilyn explained to Melissa that changes to the handbook are put into italics so they are easily seen by parents. Melissa said she would take care of this. Sarah made a motion to accept the handbook changes. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- MAY FINANCIAL REPORT
The clerk presented claims warrants numbered 20822 through 20844 in the amount of $5808.21, and the payroll warrants numbered 8944 through 8950 in the amount of $134094.75. The ACH and Direct deposits were included in the amount. The clerk presented the trial balance sheets for each fund and a monthly report stating each line item YTD and budget balance remaining for the each fund. After review of the report, Kari Jones moved to approve the financial reports. Sarah O’Brien seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- TRUSTEE CONCERNS
- Melissa sent an email to the board requesting approval that she and her husband pay for filling the cistern and put it on a digital timer for the summer. She estimates it would be 1 or 2 fillings at approximately $80 each.
- Marilyn submitted a list of the number of students we had lost in each grade in the past 3 school years. This included students transferring to other schools but living in our district and students that have moved out of our district.
VI . ADJOURNMENT:
A motion was made by Kari Jones to adjourn the meeting. Sarah O’Brien seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; motion carried. The meeting ended at 8:50 pm. The next scheduled regular meeting is Monday, July 10, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in Room 105 of the main building.
Attest: __________________________ SIGNED: ____________________________
Bill Bullard, Board Chairperson