Regular Meeting Minutes . . . . . . . . . . . . . April 10, 2017
Presented for Approval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . May 8, 2017
DATE: April 10, 2017
TIME: 6:00 p.m.
PLACE: Pioneer School, Main Building, Room 105
MEMBERS Brad Zink, Chairperson
PRESENT: Bill Bullard, Trustee
Kari Jones, Trustee
CLERK: Han Lee
ADMIN: Melissa Schnitzmeier
STAFF: Emily Fanus, Jami Burns and Marilyn Michael arrived at 6:00 pm
VISITORS: Krystle Henry arrived at 6:10 pm. Brad & Ezra Bouchard arrived at 6:23 pm and left at 6:28 pm.
- CALL TO ORDER:
Trustee, Brad Zink called the meeting of the trustees of Pioneer Elementary School District #41 to order in Room 105 of the main building, Monday, April 10, 2017 at 6:00 pm. Trustee, Brad Zink welcomed all those attending. Trustee, Brad Zink read the Montana Law about public meetings.
- MINUTE APPROVAL: Bill Bullard made a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of March 20, 2017 with a correction to Kari’s name on page 3 section 3 taking the “s” off of “Karis” and also to approve the special meeting minutes of April 4, 2017. Kari Jones seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- HEARING OF THE PUBLIC: None
- ADMINISTRATOR REPORT:
ITEMS FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
- Spring staff evaluations are complete
- Departmentalization information meeting info:
- Parent meeting held on 4/6 with a few parents attending
- Informative Flyer posted on school Facebook page
- Positive PR Flyer/Mill info and invitation mailed last week
- MSSA renewal is complete
- Team continues to experiment with a science/social studies curriculum aligned with Montana’s newly adopted Standards – 3 yr/6 yr bids attached.
- Positive feedback thus far
- Melissa registered as a provider so that Professional Development credits may be earned and used towards renewal credits for the teachers.
- Baby chicks are on their way, they should be delivered the week of April 10th (hatch in 20 days)
- Two 6th grade students have been selected to attend the 2017 Leadership Luncheon on April 20th at the YMCA
- Technology Survey has been sent to staff
- Meeting is to be held the first week of May
- Determine District needs for the 2017-2018 School Year
- Funds Available August 2017
- GT Intent to Apply has been submitted
- Spring break – no school 4/13 through 4/17
- Smarter Balanced testing – Grades 3 – 6 from 4/24 to 4/28
- Vacation day – 5/1
- Volunteer lunch – 5/11
NEWS FROM PTA
- Carnival was a success
- Scholastic Book Fair was postponed until the fall of next year
- We need to get an estimate for the AR Store – Teachers will help shop
- Kari Jones donated the remaining balance for the flyers that were sent to voters. The Kelly family donated the first $200.
- Ms. Painter will host a track & field day for K – 5, assisted by the 6th graders – Prizes will be ice cream.
- PTA needs officers next year!
ITEMS NEEDING ACTION
- Suggested 2017-2018 Classroom Assignment & Departmentalized Schedule Attached
- 2017-2018 Budget adjustment recommendations – Plan A & B attached. (Han reminded Melissa that anything she presents to the board must be given to the clerk to be placed in the Board binder and it is public record.)
- OLD BUSINESS
- DEPARTMENTALIZING/SCHEDULE – Melissa presented a proposed schedule and classroom assignments for 2017-2018. Kari asked if this showed some of the tweaks that were suggested at the April 4th meeting such as Melissa doing more teaching. She stated that it does, as she will be teaching most of the morning. Bill asked when and if the board would approve this schedule? Brad stated that we would have to wait to see if the levy passes and also after the legislative session to see what is going to happen with the budget.
- BUDGET REVIEW – The budget will not be able to be finished until we find out what is going on in the legislature and also if the mill levy passes. Han stated that anything looked at during this time is only preliminary and she will not be able to make a final budget until later. The final budget for 2017-2018 is adopted at the regular scheduled August board meeting.
- GT POSITION – Melissa has sent in the intent to apply and will complete the GT grant when it opens.
III. NEW BUSINESS
- NON-RESIDENT STUDENT APPLICATION/RENEWAL – The meeting was closed at 6:23 to interview an out of district parent. The meeting reopened at 6:28. Brad made a motion to accept Ezra Bouchard as a kindergarten student for 2017-2018 and to accept Elijah Bouchard, Izak Henry and Grace Henry as returning out of district students. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- BUILDING USE REQUEST – The building use request was cancelled.
- ANNUAL MASBO WORKSHOP – Han explained that the MASBO (Montana Association of School Business Officials) has an annual meeting that Marilyn should attend. It is at Fairmont this year from June 12 – 16. It has very important information for budgets, TRS, payroll and many other things. Bill made a motion to send Marilyn to the annual MASBO conference and pay for the conference, hotel, etc. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- CANCELLATION OF ELECTION TRUSTEE ACCLAMATION – Han explained that the election of trustees is not necessary as no other candidates filed for the positions now held by Kari (one year term) and Bill (two-year term) who both filed for their current positions. Therefore, Kari and Bill were elected by Trustee Acclamation. We will only be holding a mill levy election on May 2nd. Bill made a motion to cancel the Trustee Election and pass a resolution declaring WHEREAS, the number of candidates filling a Declaration of Intent and Oath of Candidacy for the position(s) on the Pioneer School Board of Trustees, District No. 41, Yellowstone County, state of Montana is equal to or less than the number of positions to be elected, the trustee election is not necessary. THEREFORE, the necessary 30-day notice is hereby given that the Pioneer School District No. 41, Yellowstone County, State of Montana, Trustee Election is cancelled. Kari seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- MARCH FINANCIAL REPORT
The clerk presented claims warrants numbered 20786 through 20799 in the amount of $4,111.34, and the payroll warrants numbered 8929 through 8936 in the amount of $48,639.92. The ACH and Direct deposits were included in the amount. The clerk presented the trial balance sheets for each fund and a monthly report stating each line item YTD and budget balance remaining for each fund. After review of the report, Kari Jones moved to approve the financial reports. Bill Bullard seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; the motion carried.
- TRUSTEE CONCERNS
MAIL: The following items were read.
- Han showed the board an email from Mike Arnold, Billings Public Schools Chief Financial Officer announcing the next meeting of the Yellowstone County Clerks. She felt Marilyn should start attending these meetings. The next one is Tuesday, April 18. It was decided that due to short notice, Marilyn could start attending the next meeting instead of this one unless she is able to find a sub in time for this meeting.
- 2016-2017 School Accreditation Status report and is REGULAR. It states no corrective plan required.
- Melissa told the board that she has been in contact with the Rural Montana Magazine put out by electric cooperatives. It sometimes has articles about schools. When she contacted the magazine, she was told that they do articles about schools that are members of an electric cooperative which we are as we use Yellowstone Valley Electric Cooperative. She was told that perhaps they could set up a visit to the school by YVEC and an article could be done on the visit. This could be more positive PR for the school.
- Jami reminded the board and Melissa that to make sure that Connie has the proper endorsements for the classes that she is going to be scheduled to be teaching. She recommended that OPI be contacted to clarify what Connie could be teaching with the endorsements she holds. Melissa said she has already contacted OPI and as long as Melissa is teaching the lessons and making the lesson plans it was acceptable.
- Everyone was reminded to try to find someone for the remaining school board position. Kari stated she may ask a couple of her neighbors if they are interested. Han stated that we have 60 days from the May 2nd election to find another board member or it will be up to the Yellowstone County Superintendent of Schools to find a board member.
VI . ADJOURNMENT:
A motion was made by Bill Bullard to adjourn the meeting. Kari Jones seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous; motion carried. The meeting ended at 6:45 pm. The next scheduled regular meeting is Monday, May 8, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in Room 105 of the main building.
Attest: __________________________ SIGNED: ____________________________
Brad Zink, Board Chairperson